View Single Post
Old 23-08-18, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
Hello Luke

Lets spell this out in words of one syllable.

A genuine Tiptaft has the words Tiptaft and Birmingham stamped on to the back of the badge either side of the slider AND it will also have the 2 line stamping in small letters on the slider its self, hence its marked twice not just having 2 words on the back of the badge. The striking on the back of the rising sun is part of the die and is created during the die stamping process. The slider is stamped in a separate operation during the making of the slider prior to it being attached to the badge. Also Jeff Cossum in his book on Rising Sun badges only lists one variety of the Tiptaft badge and this is the one with the name stamped onto the back of the badge and also on the slider .

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Phil.
Phil,

No need to use single syllables (albeit you didn’t) I can read, rather I just couldn’t believe what I was reading or that you believed such nonsense. British manufacturers, even ones which used marks, did not mark every single slider. Most conclusive of all if you look at the badges you’ll see many have a small flaw on the scroll border above the first A of Australian i.e. they’re from the same die. This flaw appears on badges without and with the variety of single and the double marks. As BC says you’re wrong, which I knew and was what I was driving at in a polite way, next time I will be more blunt.

Regards,

Luke