View Single Post
Old 23-08-18, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
Hello Luke

Lets spell this out in words of one syllable.

A genuine Tiptaft has the words Tiptaft and Birmingham stamped on to the back of the badge either side of the slider AND it will also have the 2 line stamping in small letters on the slider its self, hence its marked twice not just having 2 words on the back of the badge. The striking on the back of the rising sun is part of the die and is created during the die stamping process. The slider is stamped in a separate operation during the making of the slider prior to it being attached to the badge. Also Jeff Cossum in his book on Rising Sun badges only lists one variety of the Tiptaft badge and this is the one with the name stamped onto the back of the badge and also on the slider .
hi Phil
don't agree with you
i have 3 versions of the badge. (see my pics above) and i have provenance for all 3 types.
i have in excess of 20 marked badges. they include
1) the back of the badge marked,
2) the slider only marked
3) both back and slider marked.

i also have them finished in blackened brass, brass and bronze.

i cant believe there was only 1 die made and used for the 4 odd years they produced them, this could account for the variation in mark on reverse of badge.

with the mass production of badges in ww1 it doesn't surprise me that all sliders didn't get stamped. or that batches of badges didn't get sub contracted out to smaller firms for attaching sliders. or many other reasons?

that cossum doesn't show or list pics of other varieties in his book means nothing. they are not a definitive work (Jeff would be the first to admit this) and many of us have badges in our collections not listed or shown in Cossums books.

interested to hear yours and others comments
bc