Thread: Brigade badges
View Single Post
Old 23-12-14, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
Perhaps Mike H or Hagwalther[Chris ] could give some help here
A novice question even after 40 years of collecting and a reasonable collection of a/a badges Since the brigade system was in use from 1958 -1968 ? after which the regiments started the ware their regimental badges Why are large number of brigade badges found with Gaunt B'ham as Gaunt only moved to Birmingham in the early 1970,s I would have suspected that there was no need to produce Brigade badges at this time
David
Gents,

Can someone please tell me why there is an assumption that J. R. Gaunt moved from London to Birmingham in the 1970's ? I suspect that it is because maker marks show either "Gaunt London or "Gaunt Birmingham". The J.R. Gaunt factory has always been in Birmingham. The "London" back-mark relates to the location of their registered office. Badges with the back-mark "Firmin London" again don't relate to the place of manufacture but the location of the registered office. In fact Firmin ceased to have a London office in the 1980's/90's but still sometimes use the "London" back-mark. Please see attached a copy of the Gaunt letter head from my files dated 25th Feb. 1937.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gaunt.jpg (40.0 KB, 23 views)