View Single Post
Old 07-11-14, 05:19 PM

I can add a little bit of information to this topic.

The BD and beret were originally purchased by Wayne Cline (Marway) from the family.
Wayne sold it to a collector in Calgary (Vic T), who sold it to me.
I sold it to a collector in Edmonton who later sold it to the dealer who is now listing it on ebay.

The hand-written notes outlining the history are Wayne's.
He jotted down what he was told; evidently something was mixed up regarding the Italy reference as the veteran was deceased when he obtained it.

It was I who had Arnie Kay do the research and we're both convinced that we nailed the right fellow...BC Reg't Cpl., an amputee and originally from Wpg.
And no Italy service.

In one of two photos that accompanied the group, and the one shown on ebay, he is wearing a 2 CAR cap badge.
I never kept a copy of the service files, but did keep some photos & notes and found the following...

Corporal William Cheston Smith was a tradesman from Winnipeg who enlisted in the 2nd Canadian Pioneer Battalion on 29 May, 1940.

On 5 February 1944 he was taken on strength to the 2nd Armoured Car Regiment and on 22 November 1944 was transferred to 28 CAR (BCR).

Smith was wounded in Germany 5 days after war’s end, when he and his driver returned to their tank after having a few celebratory drinks.
The driver entered the tank first & when Smith was about to enter a bomb exploded, killing the driver and wounding Smith.
He managed to make his way to help and was admitted to hospital, but lost his arm.
A woman had been seen running away from the scene of the explosion, presumably a saboteur, however the official enquiry could not determine the cause and so it was ruled unknown.

Smith was awarded the CVSM & Clasp, France & Germany Star, Defence Medal and War Medal 1939-45 and became an active member of The War Amps of Canada.

Below is a photo of the insignia....it appears that the Div. patch is machine sewn and the flash is hand sewn.

At any rate, I don't have a dog in the fight as it's no longer mine. And I have no affiliation, nor do I ever want any affiliation with the current seller.
But I do trust Wayne Cline implicitly.

I hope this helps the discussion.

Roy