View Single Post
Old 03-04-15, 12:09 AM

Default Black Watch of Canada Variations

Greeting Chaps,

I thought I would start this thread in the hope of learning a little more about possible variations of the Black Watch of Canada officers badge. I can show 'three' distinct variations (see attached) and wonder if members had other examples they would be willing to share?

It is always nice when one can acquire badges that straddle a couple of collecting interests and this is certainly the case for me with these examples shown here, as they fit into both my Canadian interest as well as my new endeavor of collecting the classic Black Watch pattern of badge.

Brass Tacks!

So I have for your interest 'three' examples of the WWII officers pattern of the Black Watch of Canada badge. All three are distinctly different in their construction and one would presume manufactured by different makers (?). Badges are shown from left to right A, B & C. They are placed in no specific order other than starting with what I feel is the best quality piece and moving on from there. Details of each badge are given below for your interest. My question or more correctly optimistic enquiry - is that I would be interested to see other examples by forum members, especially if those examples are different in some way?

Example A: Six part construction (35 grams), voided back plate with scrolls affixed by pins. Note a small plate (bottom right) to the rear which states 'Made In England', slightly obscured by one of the fixing pins.

Example B: Also six part construction (41 grams), solid back plate but with top scrolls affixed metallurgical/chemically while the bottom is pinned. No markings.

Example C: Two part construction (47 grams) with the scrolls and central device forming one part, this all affixed to the main plate by pins. Screw posts instead of lugs. Also maker marked Scully Ltd Montreal.

Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs. Selous Scouts.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com