Thread: fakes
View Single Post
Old 15-01-17, 01:28 AM

As I almost complete my searching /reading of 179 pages in the General British Forum and this being my 10th post here since first joining a few days ago, I'll offer a newcomer's thoughts on the issue, if I may be allowed.

I have to side with those members that feel the forum is NOT a place to market or sell fakes/reproductions/questionable anomalies or whatever else you want to call them.

I understand, when browsing venues such as Ebay, or even dealer's site, they have a business purpose of selling and making money. I understand, it's buyer beware and you need to be knowledgeable in what you're purchasing.

I join forums to learn, ask questions, share information and knowledge with like-minded individuals and to enjoy a hobby that has interested me for a lifetime. What I hate to see but continue to see in various forums are those who start out building a reputation as a respected member of a forum, then start using the forum as a marketplace to make money off the other members.

Newer members join and think, hey this person has xxxxx posts, so he must be legit and trustworthy.

I understand, many use past purchases to sell items to fund future items for their collections, no problem with that but many use the forum as a money making venture and it bothers me. What bothers me more, is that some of these guys after establishing themselves, start to abuse their reputation and start passing off questionable pieces and many get away with it or get a blind eye turned at what they are doing altogether. I could embarrass a number of other forums here but I won't. Many have dedicated dealers on admin staff as well and that can also lead to conflicts of interest, though many are collectors, so....they're in.

I don't know anyone here yet, so I have no dog in this particular fight or even know the item that started the thread here but, time has shown, once it starts it never ends and only gets worse. Collecting is a minefield, it doesn't need to be a minefield on the forum IMHO.

Tim