View Single Post
Old 16-10-11, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Well to my eyes the cleaned up badges look pretty good! Better than repros... I would rather have a cleaned up original than a pristine "FAKE" anyday!

I just think it's a shame not to do something with them?

Andy
Bill Miller's 'common as dirt' comment says it all. To put things in perspective, none of these, with the exception of the North Novas (once upon a time, before another huge stock of dug badges showed up) and the Cape Breton Highlanders badges are worth much more than coon spit. These are all $5-$12 badges on those rare 'if you can sell them' days. "Oooooh! 139 Regiment de Voltigeurs -- and hardly corroded or de-zincing at all!!! Hold me back!" Yup, you'll be raking in the profits once you figure out how to sell even 10% of those Royal Rifles or Voltigeurs badges. And as for a heap more Infantry Corps or ice-cream cone Forestry Corps badges, I think the copper content is definitely worth far more than the badges.

None of these badges are being reproed or faked, with the exception of the cheesy Carleton & York fake in "REAL BRASS" coming out of the U.K., and one other. Oddly enough, that badge is the Cape Breton Highlanders buckled annulus. And how is it faked, you ask? Well (he said knowingly), 'cause someone down East had a heap of badge bases for the non-buckled badge and some scrap overlays of the buckled annulus badges from a lot of discards just like this. Would you still feel better then, having paid $450 for a buckled annulus Cape Breton fake because it 'came from' -- technically correct, but... -- buried discards?

As far as I'm concerned, driving a cement roller over these would be 'doing something with them'