View Single Post
Old 26-06-21, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
There seams to be a ` tone` setting in on here towards J.D.R if ...... he is the winning bidder then F&&kING good luck to him he wanted the wing he had the cash so he bid AND won what`s the bloody issue ???? please remember the under bidder that means TWO people were willing to drop two grand on a bit o` cloth Jack is fortunate to have the funds to do this ,I have just put a bid of four grand to a family for their grandmothers old battledress and service dress uniform in an old tatty case is it worth four grand - No - but I want it so be it
Well said - some of the comments are dismaying. In my collecting life I have set four world records which dealers crow about on their sites with 'new world record' announcements. One item was 4 Independent Company for which I have since been offered double, another was D Troop 3 Commando where I know subsequent private sales were benchmarked at the price I paid, Yet another was 2 SBS enamel badge - accompanied by piles of paperwork which tied together 7 or 8 items in the same group (to G Barnes MM and Bar) adding fantastic context to the group. I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth, worked like hell to build a career, and had to save to make such purchases. Collecting and conducting piles of research was my chosen priority in life. My interest being genuine Commando insignia of WW2. Why do I do it ... because it is a huge part of my life which I enjoy. I hope we all enjoy our hobby as much as I do ... I always pay good prices if offered anything, as I hope I will be offered other things and that the seller will be happy parting with something which is fairly unique. Prices really are a matter of personal choice within a free market. No criticism intended, BUT sharing my own perspective on the matter of 'VALUE' and 'PRICE' - two different things. All the best - Mike