Thread: WRCNS Armband
View Single Post
Old 18-03-13, 05:16 PM

Default WRCNS Armband

I acquired this WRCNS Armband recently. I knew that they existed in white embroidery on a deep navy blue background & have photo of WRCNS wearing this band & its shown below also.
This armband is quite rare as it as only used during the 1942 period when the WRCNS were established as part of the RCN wartime establishment.

My understand its that this armband was worn by the first couple of classes of WRCNS that were recruited & passed thru Kingsmill House in Ottawa - this would be before the WRCNS training moved to HMCS Conestoga in Galt, Ontario.

You can see a four of the armbands being worn by Probationary WRCNS in the photo below. & I have att'd a couple closeups as well. In the standing group photo you can only just make out the white on their left arms, the lettering is not clear in that photo.
Once the WRCN was passed thru basic training & had her uniform(s) the armband would no longer be worn.
I think the two 1942 classes did not recieve their uniform kit until after they completed their training.

RCN Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WRCNS armmband.jpg (38.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg WRCNS armband 2.jpg (56.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WRCNS armband rev.jpg (43.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg WRCNS armband tapes.jpg (56.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg WRCNS w armband.jpg (75.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg WRCNS armb ph.jpg (84.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg WRCNS armb photo cl.jpg (96.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg WRCNS armb phgp.jpg (96.5 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by RCN; 18-03-13 at 05:28 PM. Reason: ..