View Single Post
Old 01-08-19, 02:34 AM

Talking Why so many 1915 "generics"?

I think that the plethora of these "generic" badges shows the extent to which it was important to be seen to be "doing one's bit" and possibly their seemingly endless variety was the result of either: a) demand from the public or b) the badgemakers and jewellers hoping to make money from the opportunities presented to them. Enamel presented no difficulties as a it would have been a part of the apprenticeship for the majority of these trades "back in the day".
It should also be noted that a simple badge such as some of the ones pictured would have been a fairly easy proposition for a moderately skilled jeweller, die-sinker (or watchmaker) to produce.

I can't recall seeing any (many?) maker's marks on the back of these badges so it is not impossible that the makers didn't want to be identified......

I would sincerely doubt that these badges had any "paperwork" to go with them and little wonder that they cracked down on the mass issue of these badges.

I have, however, noted that one of the badges has clearly been struck on the die that produced the same version but with a crown (you'll see the "bump" in the white enamel). Maybe they were already getting a bit stricter with the use of the crown on regalia?

Mind you, if they had been really "hard nosed" from the outset, where would collecting be?