View Single Post
Old 18-10-14, 09:07 AM

Well, I still don't understand why there have been so many die struck badges that have appeared on the market over the years since 1945 I've certainly seen ten or so, I've never trusted them, nor have I ever seen any with a good provenance.
I don't own a copy of Grimshaw's book, so I really can't comment on that, but in general, I would think it is not the case that one book is better than another, but, it was certainly written over thirty years ago and there was nothing like the numbers of different badges around back in those days.
I've only ever seen four badges that I'd be happy with, the Scully officers, the Hobson made embroidered officers, the plastic and the nice bright die cast brass ones, there is just something I don't like about the die struck ones, they are far too common and the differ rather too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Miller View Post
Ken Joyce's book is very good on citing specific period documents and sources, so I have no trouble believing the facts and figures therein. Also because of his diligence, I have no trouble believing the veteran and estate sources he cites and the sources of his photographic material. The publisher also has a reputation for high journalistic standards and quality research.

According to Joyce's book and the voluminous documents cited therein, the original order for brass OR badges was for 2000, required in 6-8 weeks, including the production of tools and dies.

The initial contract was awarded to Scully in Montreal, their quality and unadherence to the authorized GO saw them rejected in favour of Breadner, who took from Nov 44 to Jan 45 to finish the initial order, the dies were then sent to Roden to make a further 2000 after February of 1945.

It is also noted in an Archival record on the procurement of badges for the CASF that:
"...demands placed on companies in Canada to provide a continuous supply of metal badges at home and overseas resulted in the revision of contracts for the production of metal badges. In the event that a manufacturer could not meet the prescribed contract deadline, then the company had to ship tolls and dies to a manufacturer that could. This rapid re-allocation of tools and dies was implemented so as to keep up with a demand which prescribed a weekly delivery of 28,500 Canadian Army metal cap badges to the UK. - Maelstrom P.93 (emphasis mine)

Now, I work in a manufacturing plant. When we take an order or agree to a contract deadline, it is not unheard of for us to 'farm out' the work in whole or in part to other suppliers or EVEN our competitors in the interest of customer satisfaction and repeat business. It only makes sense.

So. How long does it take to make a badge?? In the case of the regiment I am most familiar with and that I have primary source documents on hand, the 1CACR; JR Gaunt was contracted in November of 44 to make 1000 brass badges. Tools and dies were approved and completed in December. They were able to Stamp all 1000 badges by the end of January, but only finish 500 in February, the remaining 500 were completed by the end of March. That's 5 months to make 1000 badges by one manufacturer. The finishing of the badges, being all done by hand and naturally assuming that the entire facility was not allocated to making one type of badge...

Sub-contract. that's how you get the job done on-time and that is how you end up with a variety of finishes, HOWEVER the Original DIE is the same in all cases. Repro artisits will not have the original die and therefore the differences in the DIE will be the primary tell to determine the fakes from the real deal, regardless of finish.

oh, I see... your 'text book' is better than mine?

Knowledge didn't come to a grinding halt in the 1980's or at anytime, keep asking hard questions and look for answers wherever they may be. I for one am very grateful that passionate collectors, researchers and archivists want to seek ot the little details and challenge what may be our conventional thoughts on ANY particular subject. And then share that knowledge. I think that is what can keep one from becoming jaded or pessimistic about the hobby in the face of the growing reproduction problem.

However, none of this pertains directly to the original posters query and I look forward to the inciteful opinions of some of the others far more knowledgeable than me about 1CPB badges...