View Single Post
Old 28-04-11, 04:23 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
IMO, I do think it's down to makers variations when it comes down to details like missing apostrophes, etc. However there are other mysteries such as these two. Are they Militia, are they collars (supposedly not worn) or FSC's but one thing is clear and that's the name change from King's Royal Rifles to KRRC.

Just to confuse things further the only other Kings Royal Rifle(s) without Corps in the title I have are those to the 1st Cadet Battalion both in KC & QVC but I also have a QVC nickel cord boss badge with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
I think they are FSC badges Keith. As you say collars were not worn by KRR, but when FSCs were introduced almost all regiments used them as the badge (although most LI and Fusilier Regts used bugles and grenades from STs), until larger badges were designed.
Keith,

I would agree with Toby here. My limited knowledge of Victorian era militaria doesn't really hold me in good enough stead to offer you a feasible alternative. It is well known that collars were not worn, and so I see no cause to dispute this reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Peter,
I too feel that it is nothing more than a Makers Variation! Here is a "LAMBOURNE" example with very small lettering. Sorry about the images, the sunlight is a nightmare (not complaining though!!).

Andy
Andy,

Maker's variation is certainly the most likely theory, isn't it. It is not unreasonable to conclude these differences are nothing more than this, and if I am honest, I too believe it to be the case here.

I wanted to propose other possibilities for these variations as I think it's very easy to dismiss such anomalies in this way, and I sometimes feel we are all a bit guilty of this at times, albeit to a greater or lesser degree.

In this case though I actually completely agree... unless someone can prove me wrong, which would be great.

Thanks for the photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Peter the maker of badge A imo should have moved the battle honours Martinique Talavera up a bit higher on the arm of the cross as it looks odd, or is this the norm

Malc
Malc,

All the examples I have (or have ever seen) of this badge display these honours in the same way. This wavy line is one of the main ways I identify this post-1905 pattern at a glance. I'd love to know if there are other examples which show them differently, but I have certainly never seen any.

Thank you gentlemen for you contributions here; some really interesting points raised, and I am especially interested by Keith's comments regarding the addition of the word 'Corps'. As Marc (54Bty) said recently:

'Stop it!That is something else I have to check for now.'

Cheers,

Peter

Last edited by Peter J; 26-02-13 at 12:35 PM.