View Single Post
Old 10-08-08, 11:35 PM

Got me beat this one. Am not convinced that the horse is anything other than the West Yorks Hanovarian Horse. I have not got a 3rd Hussars collar but putting the cap badges side by side, they are very much different. The 3rd H horse is a much sturdier stead with an arched neck with a very full mane. The West Yorks horse has an upright neck with a subdued mane and is of a much slighter build. I have seen mismatched badges before with a West Yorks Horse on an 3rd Hussars scroll and it screams that they do not belong. Of the 24 West Yorks cap / helmet badges depicting the Hanovarian horse from pre Cardwell era through to amalgamation with the East Yorks i have in my collection not one faces right! The only genuine badge i know facing right is an officer bronze collar badge which obviosly this is not. Looking at the badge very closely on the detail it seems to match the strikes i have that were worn around WWI as one i have is an all brass. Could it be a novice manufacturers cock up? The Green Howards had a badge struck with a crown not a coronet in WWII, could this be a similar mistake? Is the badge still for sale Alan or did you whisk it up?
Cheers, Dave