View Single Post
Old 02-04-21, 11:04 AM

Colin, As Leigh points out in post No6 below the Guards Brigade in BAOR during the 1970s used the Ever Open Eye symbol with IV below. I served in the Bde HQ located in York Bks Munster from 1974 to 1977 but i have no recollection of the badge being worn on uniform. It was most certainly used on all 'headed' correspondence from the Bde.

The Bde was in fact from 1970 until its disbandment on 1 Oct 1977 entitled 4th Guards Armoured Brigade and it consisted of two Guards Battalions and two Armoured Regiments (as well of course supporting arms and services). On disbandment the two Armoured Regiments were 2RTR and 4RTR and the two Guards Battalions were 2 SG and 1 IG. The Brigade at that time was commanded by Brig H D A Langley (late LG) the only HCav Officer to command the Bde, all others were Foot Guards but there was never a WG Commander.

I remember sometime during my tour that 5 Innis DG handed over to 4 RTR who were collocated in York Bks with the Bde HQ and the HQ & Sig Sqn.

On disbandment the (peacetime) HQ was renamed HQ Munster Garrison whilst the tactical element which came under command of 2 Div was named Task Force Charlie.

I still have today a copy of the Brigade's Disbandment Parade Programme.
Whilst i have diverged from the original theme of this post I hope this is informative
Best Regards
Steve

Last edited by Ex Supt Clk RAOC; 02-04-21 at 02:17 PM.