Thread: Hello and help.
View Single Post
Old 19-11-20, 02:09 PM

Default Hello and help.

Hi all, my name is Nick and I live in Oxfordshire. I am trying to do some research on an RAF Jacket that I found during a house clearance, last week. The former owner was a pilot during WW2 and became well known in later life for making model engines. An article that I found written about him recalls that he was a glider tug pilot and flew in the second wave at Arnhem.
The jacket has a Parachute Regt cap badge affixed to the breast pocket and I am trying to find out some more about that. I have been told that these were unofficially awarded to Aircrew who took part in that operation. I have been sent a photo of pilots wearing the badge at RAF Harwell but haven't found any other images and wondered if anyone has come across anything similar or has other photos of this badge being worn that they could share?
Also the medal bar is missing the F & G star, if he was based in the far east as a tug pilot could he have been brought back to take part in that operation? Many thanks in advance. Kind regards Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201112_142452_resized.jpg (56.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 20201112_142518_resized.jpg (82.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg RAF Harwell.jpg (24.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 20201112_153426_resized.jpg (74.7 KB, 57 views)