View Single Post
Old 07-05-18, 07:09 PM

Default Help Badging a jacket

Hi Michael

I have sorted out a few illustrations to help you find the badges you need.

If, as you say, the uniform you have was made in the 1970s then either gold wire or red thread badges will be acceptable. However, remember that all the badges must be in red or gold - you can't mix them.

Firstly there is an image of the Leading Rate badge. Make sure you get one in gold wire and not in the modern gold rayon.

Secondly there is a modern image showing how the badge of rating should be worn with the Good Conduct badges. Your man only had two Good Conduct badges whereas this rating has three, but otherwise there would be no difference.

Thirdly there is the stokers trade badge - the three-bladed ships propeller. This image has the star above but I think that in the 1970's a Leading Stoker would just have worn the propeller without the star.

All of these badges - the badge of rating, the Good Conduct badges, and the three-bladed ships propeller should be fairly easily available in gold wire or red thread. Try the shop of one of our forum members, RBJ Militaria. He is on the internet and if you e-mail him he should be able to provide you with everything you need. However, I think he has just gone on holiday for two weeks but you can leave your request with him and he'll contact you when he gets back.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leading Rate badge.jpg (19.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Leading rate and Good Conduct.jpg (7.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Stokers badge.jpg (30.9 KB, 12 views)