View Single Post
Old 23-08-18, 07:59 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Phil,

Just checking I’m reading this right. To me the above reads like you’re saying only the double marked Tiptaft badges are genuine. So if it has the correct stamping on the reverse (either side of the slider) but no mark on the slider you’re saying it’s a fake and also same applies vice-versa with correct mark on slider but no reverse mark?

I do agree re the large letter marks that appear to be from the same stable as the fake Thomas Fattorini, F.E.Woodward, BP&Co etc. I also agree that any badge with a broad arrow stamped on a slider is fake.

Cheers,

Luke
Hello Luke

Lets spell this out in words of one syllable.

A genuine Tiptaft has the words Tiptaft and Birmingham stamped on to the back of the badge either side of the slider AND it will also have the 2 line stamping in small letters on the slider its self, hence its marked twice not just having 2 words on the back of the badge. The striking on the back of the rising sun is part of the die and is created during the die stamping process. The slider is stamped in a separate operation during the making of the slider prior to it being attached to the badge. Also Jeff Cossum in his book on Rising Sun badges only lists one variety of the Tiptaft badge and this is the one with the name stamped onto the back of the badge and also on the slider .

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Phil.

Last edited by Lancer 17; 23-08-18 at 08:11 AM.