View Single Post
Old 03-10-20, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
From my book Badges on Battle Dress

Jon

Although the War Office and Royal Marines had agreed by 17th January 1945 to introduce the new [Commando dagger] badge it did not come into use until after hostilities ceased, Commando Group Routine Order No 183 of 2nd October 1945 stating that ‘Printed Commando Group formations signs with a fast dye are now available and should be demanded from ADOS, Commando Group’.
Jon is the daddy on this but I do wonder on what scale Commandos (and others) broke the rules. We know Printed Ordnance issue was the official issue from circa 1942, but the numbers of red on black embroidered titles (designations) and signs is confusing. Some context provided by images (see Commando Veterans Association archive etc) appears to defy rulings. I think (not got my papers to hand) there was a protest that when ordered to switch to official ordnance printed, at least one Cdo unit was said to have already purchased embroidered insignia (unofficially), this would include Combined Ops sign rather than SS/Cdo Gp. Cdo Group signs are a particular nightmare to date but Belly is right in saying the pattern illustrated is accepted as standard late WW2 when Combined Ops patches were replaced. Sorry to muddy the water and very much welcoming further thoughts ... Mike