View Single Post
Old 03-04-19, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabelle View Post
Oh the badges I don't know but I can ask, I was looking at other posts and I think there was cos it makes sense that things got lost and broken so had to be fixed or made and why would this badge have been made and then had a mug repaired ? I saw posts that talked about army being in other countries and not being able to get supplies and would get what they could where they could so makes sense cos you couldn't be running about with no cap badge or other badges
Also I read that in WWI when they were waiting for badges they would use their buttons on the cap badges
T
hi T
if the badge got lost or broken it was replaced by another. no need to cast up a replacement which to be honest looks crap.
this badge dates from 1903-12. the australian army wasn't at war or in other countries at this time. this badge pre dates WW1
the AIF in WW1 in the majority wore the rising sun badge. certainly this badge shouldn't have been worn in WW1.
the history of the unit has already been posted.
i am yet to see any evidence that any tasmanian badges from this period were sand cast, even the 12th LHR
i would never have a sand cast badge from this period in my collection, but if you believe some others and your happy with it then go for it.
bc