Thread: J.S TYE &CO ltd
View Single Post
Old 10-04-23, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBB View Post
I have only seen one staybrite badge by G.S.Tye ltd in my time collecting them, what sort of money do they fetch?

Is a rare maker the same as a rare badge, or does the rare maker make the badge rare?
Jerry,

To my knowledge George S Tye & Co Ltd made badges for the following:

East Anglian Brigade
Home Counties Brigade
Edinburgh OTC
Sheffield OTC

The only one i do not have is the East Anglian Bde.

Home Counties is not that rare and can be picked up on E Bay for between £7 and £14.

Edinburgh OTC i have only ever seen 3 or 4 on offer. I paid £30 for mine a couple of years ago.

Sheffield OTC not often seen on offer. I got mine for a bargain price of £4 approx 3 years ago.

Generally i would say that there are several makers who manufactured Staybrite badges in the early days who only made maybe 4 or 5 badges and then the bigger players such as Gaunt and Firmin gained most of the contracts. So the early players such as Tye, Buttons Ltd, Turner & Simpson, Grove Mfg, R.A. Huges and lastly Shaw Munster Group are the manufacturers who are sought after by the serious Anodised Aluminium collectors. As Chris Marsh who wrote the book on AA badge collecting mentioned, a badge is only worth what a collector will pay for it. I have some rare badges in my collection and have paid anything from £7 for a very rare Pioneer Corps with a Tudor Crown to £150 for another badge. Sometimes you get lucky other times you have to pay through the nose if you want it.

There are several 'very rare' badges that i would love to own but know that if they come up i will have to dig deep into my pockets for. One is the wide pattern RAOC and the other i would like is the early Wiltshire Regiment with the AEA Cypher.

Hope this helps answer your question

Regards
Steve