Thread: Maroon Beret
View Single Post
Old 09-08-09, 04:27 PM

The Special Service Force of the 1970s-1990s(?) was an Airborne unit and all members of the SSF wore the maroon beret (with the exception of the armoured types). This included the medics, gunners, etc... Many of these individuals were NOT jump qualified although they had a priority on existing courses. I did my course in 1976 and there were several members of the CAbR attending. They already wore the maroon beret because that was the approved headdress for the CAbR. If there was a separate 'maroon beret' course then it must have come afterwards.
I note that members of the CAbR have the attitude that the white wings and maroon beret are their perogative only and have seen rude comments in other fora about members of the Sky Hawks (which has even included an officer of the Cadet Instructor Cadre as a member as well as a number of Reservists) and staff at the Jump Trg Cntre, including Riggers, who also wear the white wings.
My understanding on the white wings (actually, the white maple leaf within the wings) denotes a person who is or was in a designated jump-position.