View Single Post
Old 30-05-22, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
It seems very likely that the a/a one was likely intended to be worn by both the TA and cadets.

The w/m one has a sealed pattern of 1949 but I reckon it was several years before stocks were used up of the brass ones.

The TA bns reportedly had badges chromed for a parade,( I seem to remember by Gaylor?), but this has passed into folklore and I think it unlikely that they only wore these nor that they were the only ones. Whether they wanted chromed ones because they still had brass ones or someone thought that the w/m ones were in need of extra shine is unknown to me.
There may well be a kernel of truth to such a proposal. We know inter-War the London Irish Rifles chromed their existing stocks of BB badges as this was cheaper than manufacturing new badges.

We are fortunate that thanks to JT’s excellent research we have the paper trail for the London Irish. Who knows what else may lay yet undiscovered for other regiments in relation to chromed badges.

Obviously there are always other options and scenarios. If I recall correctly the chromed Isle of Wight Rifles badges are attributed to Cadets.

Like you I am a sceptic when it comes to the RAC affiliation often peddled by dealers.