View Single Post
Old 09-12-12, 11:52 PM

Default Great War Survivors

Greetings

Not strictly badge orientated I know, BUT he did wear a badge.

I don’t know if any of you watched this evening’s episode of Antiques Road show.

Ted Dexter, the great England Cricket Captain, appeared on it, in regards to the history of his father.

If I heard correctly; his father J.M Dexter, MC, was the only officer, to survive the duration of WW1; i.e. enlisting in 1914 and surviving until 1918.

He served in the Royal Field Artillery and for his actions whilst taking up a forward observation/spotting role, was awarded The Military Cross; which has sadly been stolen from the family.

The “antique expert” showed a book with the names of those who did survive the entire war; there were probably less than a dozen names on the list, J.M. Dexter being one of them.

An extraordinary fact, in my opinion.

I’ve had a trawl through t’internet, to try and find his history, which I imagine would be a fascinating read, but can’t find any reference for this, not that I doubt that it is true.

Please can anybody point me in the right direction as to where I might find anything in relation to those who were Great War survivors?........how many did survive the entire War; how many were there?
Regards
Brian.

P.S. For some reason, my computer won’t let me join The Great war Forum

Last edited by Fatherofthree; 09-12-12 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Heading should be Survivors....can't change it.