View Single Post
Old 17-04-15, 10:25 PM

Default Pip backing

I've just had a quick read through the Army Council Instructions relating to distinguishing marks, and QAIMNS weren't mentioned.

The coloured pip backings were introduced in September 1940 for units of Home Forces. I am unaware of similar instructions being made for other stations abroad, therefore either option would have been available to those serving overseas (coloured being more likely for those posted abroad post 9.40. as they would already possess them).

I have copied another ACI:
31.12.43. AO 225: Officers of QAIMNS authorised to wear drab uniform, in lieu of grey with scarlet facings, w.e.f. 01.01.44. Sealed patterns of the existing uniform were retained pending re-issue as and when circumstances permitted. Their new uniform was to be that of the ATS (see ACI 103 of 1940) worn with QAIMNS officers’ cap badges, and badges of rank. Their Tropical Scale included a Universal helmet or Pith hat, but only when specially authorised.
The Matron-in-Chief, and Chief Principal Matrons wore a dull cherry band and Royal Crest (woven Lion and Crown), together with dull cherry gorget patches, and buttons of the pattern described for the rank of Colonel.
Grey uniform would continue to be worn until unserviceable, so a hybrid grey and drab uniform was unavoidable.

This ACI indicates that khaki wasn't issued to OFFICERS until 12.43.

Stephen