View Single Post
Old 06-07-19, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
Toby, i don't know what to say. The Coldstream Guards and Scots Guards Officers wore metallic cap badges in the Victorian era. The Grenadier Guards officers did on the foreign service helmet at that time. The grenade and the garter surmounted by the crown the later up until about 1934. The badge Simon is selling ( which is nice ) is not mentioned in Dress Regulations for the Army - Foot Guards 1934 ? Even though it mentions the Forage Cap ( Officers ) and gold embroided grenade being worn on it. It does also mention the Cocked Hat for quartermasters, i would have thought if the Quartermaster did wear a metallic grenade it would have said ? Every other cap badge ( grenade type ) is mentioned in dress regs or has a sealed pattern fact.
However these gilt grenades are about, fact and thats to Mike they looked well made too. But now we have the gilt grenade with a white metal cypher and a gilt grenade with a gilt cypher both to the King George V era fact, why ????? We have K & K saying one thing and then the image you have shown with the 5 grenades on it saying another ????? I'm not to clever, but i'll admit i'm confused.
Andy
I agree that it’s confusing and I don’t know the answer with any certainty, any more than you do. As you rightly point out, the existence of such fine quality badges is a matter of undisputed fact that cannot be simply explained away and that is the crux of the issue. With that in mind, the evidence that Kipling and King found that the main badge to which you refer was that of a commissioned quartermaster is the best information that we have. Until it's properly researched by someone with some Guards knowledge going through the available records and photographic archives there’s not much more that can be said with any profit. Unfortunately the absence of any mention in dress regulations is not by itself significant, in that there have been numerous cases where what actually happened in regiments was not as per the regulations, e.g. the Black Watch choice of a plain Sphinx as it’s feather bonnet badge, or the bullion wire badge worn by RWF officers on the glengarry, both in contradiction of the regulations.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 06-07-19 at 05:31 PM.