Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 31-10-20, 05:47 PM

So well over six months and nothing, including the "hysteria" has subsided, countless lives ruined, business's destroyed, the economy seriously damaged and the future mortgaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I'm not minimising the risk , just trying to put things in perspective.

Today Donald Trump introduced travel restrictions on 26 European countries in a bid to combat the spread of the coronavirus.

"There are 1,135 confirmed cases of the virus across the US, with 38 deaths so far."

So far in March there have been approximately 300 gun related deaths in the U.S !

Spanish Flu 1918-1920: The average life expectancy at that time was 40-50 , hygene , living conditions and health care were very different than today. Mortality rates due to other (now preventable) ilnesses were vastly higher , so how many actually died from flu rather than underlying medical conditions ?

Swine flu 2009-2010: I was on the 'front line' , working in a hospital (heart transplants) where even a 'common cold' could result in operations being cancelled or high risk patient's lives being at threat. The government promoted anti-viral drug (tamiflu) was later shown to only reduce the symptoms by only about 48 hours (and made those who took it feel like crap !).
I know I was prescribed it (with 7 days off work) , I wasn't tested and simply had a cold !

Covid-19 2020 : Latest number of deaths for China (ground zero) , 3000 . Globally over 4,600 deaths , only 1600 outside China.

"Seasonal flu typically has a mortality rate below 1% and is thought to cause about 400,000 deaths each year globally."

While I may be totally wrong , I honestly think a lot of what we are seeing is media induced 'overkill' , governments having to be "seen" to respond. Only time will tell.

Will be interesting to revisit this thread in 6 months time when the 'hysteria' has subsided.

"Keep Calm and Carry On"