View Single Post
Old 07-11-21, 12:40 AM

Hi Paddy

My suggestion would be to talk to the local welding supplies place (British Oxygen for us...) as they have an amazing range of rods and alloys.

I have a friend who has repaired stuff for me and he uses silver solder BUT, so he says, the mistake many make is that they think that if a little is good, a lot can be only better.

I despair when I see a badge with a pound of plumber's lead solder on it. These are almost impossible to fix as the lead makes the new silver solder joint very brittle, although they can be done.

He says that if the joint is cleaned well (and this is another mistake that folk make) you would be surprised how little is needed. He flattens and cuts the rod into tiny little chips and uses a solder pick to place them at the base of the lug. It also depends if you apply the solder to the lug/ slider or to the badge and which you chose to heat first.

You can also use jeweller's silver solder which is much finer and requires very little.

The old guys used to make up their own alloys and, for some reason, removing a lug from a damaged badge to use on a repair means that the badge is almost melting before the lug (reluctantly) lets go.

OK hope that may have helped you a bit!