View Single Post
Old 14-01-21, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Fascinating article. The solid brass scroll and lead solder would be the locally modified ones for the 1st and the die struck issued to the 1st, before they converted to RSF, and issued to the 2nd/1st in their Cyclists role.

Many thanks.
Personally I disagree.

I think the ‘cut and shut’ type is also UK made for a couple of reasons.

The text isn’t the clearest but reads...

Suggestions had been sought for a design for a scroll, and at least two Yeomen submitted drawings Hugh White and John Graham. Whose design was chosen is not known, but Colonel Boswell approved one, and unpolished brass badges were issued soon afterwards. They were made by native brass workers, who were in the habit of producing all types of badges and numerals.

For me the ‘cut & shut’ scroll is too high quality, especially the reverse which strikes me as more akin to an OSD casting than anything made by ‘native brass workers’.

Also the materials used to attach the two pieces is the same colour in most cases as what’s used to attach the loops, so it appears to have been done at the same time. Clearly those loops are not bazaar loops and can’t see how/why they’d be attached or reattach there.

This badge in Dean’s album is my candidate for this theatre made item as it has all the classic characteristics for a local bazaar brass worker piece:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ictureid=41913

Lastly if they were made in theatre from IY badges the Ayrshire’s already had I’d expect to see some variation with the beast used as there are 3 different dies for it when there isn’t, it’s always the same beast and never any sign of a slider fitted etc.