View Single Post
Old 10-04-10, 12:56 PM

Default Establishment of J. R. Gaunt

Hello Keith

Yes the date 1860 certainly seems at odds with Gaunt’s 1918 claim that they were by then some 200 years old! Perhaps the advert in Peck’s Circular is referring to the establishment of this “David Faris” in 1860? Interestingly in btns’ recent posting to another Gaunt thread he quotes “The new company J.R. Gaunt & Son was established in Birmingham in 1884” (Aucioneer DNW sales info), and seems to suggest that the 200 year history Gaunt claimed was actually that of another company - namely Edward Thurkle. Further, both the ‘Button and Badge Makers’ section of the Oldcopper website and ‘Backmarks on British Buttons and the Dates Used’ on Diana’s Buttons site talk about J. R. Gaunts at Birmingham as having operated from 1870-1973 (or at least that button marks would suggest these dates), whilst Firmin’s History webpage tell us “J R Gaunt & Son” were established in 1750. I think this last date is probably the more correct one for the establishment of Gaunt themselves, though the fact they took over other firms at various times does look to have clouded the issue quite a bit. At some point I do hope to look at Gaunt’s history in more detail, but from what has already been put up on the Forum elsewhere it would appear to be a rather daunting task to say the least!

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 10-04-10 at 02:39 PM.