View Single Post
Old 08-04-10, 10:37 AM

Hi Martin,

I have to first state that I'm not really an authority on any of this although I did look closely at Gaunt along with a lot of other manufacturers of badges and ancillary companies right down to the makers of the gold dye used in A/A badges. Studying Gaunt I must have spent most effort for least amount of generated output but I think I may have the 1950's era onwards sorted.

Most of my research into Gaunt for this era comes directly from company headed notepaper which contains addresses of plant, main office and sales outlets and of course all the dates which are most important. The headed notepaper also contained related companies of which a major one which I do not think has been picked up on yet. This note paper was mainly concerned with correspondence with the War Office for specific badges and contracts and in its own right was quite interesting with much information held in footers and to the letter sides.

As I said previously, I found the early pre 1950's a real problem to understand with so many sources out there and it would need someone with a lot of time and who was able to accurately reference sources to come up with a good history of the company.

Always very keen to hear more of the other Gaunt outfit too if anyone has time to study what is going on here.

Regards

Chris