View Single Post
Old 19-01-20, 08:11 PM
skypilot

Default Greetings from the Isle of Man

I originally joined the forum back in 2017 but forgot all about it so I figured I might as well introduce myself seeing as this is my first post!

I reside in the Isle of Man and have been collecting and researching Manx military history for over 25 years. I formed the Manx Aviation Preservation Society way back in 1994, which is the group that runs the Manx Aviation & Military Museum.

I have been collecting militaria for more than 35 years, initially focusing on British pre-1952 cap badges and British flying clothing and equipment (my full time job is in aviation). I sold my cap badge collection some years ago though due to the proliferation of restrikes, fakes and bad sellers and I have focused on medals to Manx men and women ever since. I also dabble in vintage Star Wars and Action Man toys!

I have a modest collection of military badges relating to the Isle of Man but I only pick them up when they are nice and cheap. I also have an extensive collection of Isle of Man Police badges - I am the Isle of Man Constabulary’s historian and Chief Officer (“Commandant”) of the Special Constabulary.

I am an expert in nothing but am more than willing to pass on my limited knowledge on all things Manx.

Oh, and in 35 years I have never seen a local reference, photo or provenanced WW2 Isle of Man Home Guard badge except those of the King’s Liverpool Regiment. Hope springs eternal though!