View Single Post
Old 11-04-21, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I'm still of the opinion that the badge is the crossed flags with one flag being 'hidden' by a fold in the uniform sleeve.
My opinion was based on the limited information originally supplied but now that more details have emerged I did a bit more digging and found a couple of interesting items.

From Hansard - June 1915

Quote:
All butchers undergo a course of field butchery instruction at Aldershot, at the end of which they are classified as to suitability for promotion.
https://api.parliament.uk/historic-h...tchers-section

Which led me to an "Oral History" page on IWM website detailing the experience of a young butcher from Newark.

Here are a few details but the recording is worth listening to.

15/11/1914 : Recruitment underage as butcher with Army Service Corps at Newark Barracks.

11/1914-12/1914 : verbal butchery test; basic training; periods of leave due to over crowded barracks during which re-employed as civilian butcher.

2/1915-5/1915 : Posting to 19th Field Butchery Coy, Army Service Corps at Aldershot, butchery training; promotion to corporal, 3/1915.

N.B - Butchery training included identifying different parts of cattle and slaughtering a heifer. It is implied that promotion was based on doing well in this training.

May 1915 : Posted to Supply Section, No 1 Transport Coy, 11th Divisional Train.

He also mentions that although they were "Supply Section" they were attached to the "Horse Section" , which could explain having photo taken on horse.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80008969

Although there is no mention of a "butchers' badge" it does seem possible/probable that some form of trade qualification could have been awarded (locally produced for the Field Butchery Company ?) , hopefully some more information will surface to verify this.

One thing I have learned since joing this forum is that there is a lot of information we don't have and that discussions can only improve our knowledge !

Poppy and British Legion Wanted