View Single Post
Old 18-08-13, 12:57 PM

Hello Jack,
I have to say with regards to the second badge you mention, I had not seen the first, I would not go anyway near it, if you just want an example of a badge to this unit, I would just go and buy a good honest other ranks in plastic or brass.
If however, you can't live without an officers badge, then I would, if I were you, buy a good text book example by Scully.
Remember too, provenance is everything with 1st and 6th Airborne, I have not seen any of these British made badges with one.
The battalion was by no means a huge organisation, before D day there would only be thirty or so officers and I think around six hundred men.
I can remember seeing the three common versions of these British made badges as a boy thirty years ago, I did not like them then and I really don't like them now.
About twenty years ago, I had a long conversation with Louis Grimshaw in Calgary about these badges, he was not very keen either!
They certainly have been around for many years though, some people consider them to be original, I am yet to be convinced.
By mid 1944 many officers of both divisions had taken to sporting fine embroidered beret badges, you could just walk into Hobson's and buy what you needed back then, some of the badges were actually made by the Royal School of Needlework too, I used to have a superb Beret with a very fine embroidered badge that belonged to Captain John Hanson 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion.
It is the one thing I regret selling, but, it went to a close friend, so one day I might buy it back.
All I can say is please do be very careful with your money, far to much rubbish being sold as original these days, don't be greedy, just buy good honest text book stuff, good luck and kind regards,
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack8 View Post
You say in your earlier post that you have quite a few of these in your collection, may we see some of yours?

May I ask the experts here what is their conclusion about the pattern of badge sold recently by Minden Militaria for £500, is it genuine WW2 issue or not?

There is also another one for sale at present by Chairborne Militaria for £600.

Jack