View Single Post
Old 27-05-23, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleeman View Post
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who replied, in particular Dave with his knowledge of manufacturing such a badge.

My reason for posting on here was because I am familiar with the New Metal/Chromium Plated badge but had never seen a Gilt one.

This was different, hence me asking the question. In my opinion, I still believe it is has had a Gilt finish applied, as it differs in colour to the slider, which is brass.

Thanks again,

Andy
Its quite normal for the slider (on an unplated/unchromed badge) to be of a slightly different coloured medal to the badge itself. The basic badge will have been stamped out of a sheet of brass. The sliders are made separately and will have been stamped out of a different sheet of brass. The manufacturers will have a stock of several thousands of sliders which will be used on perhaps a hundred or more batches of different badges. So what you have in effect is the marriage of two pieces (the badge and the slider), both from different sources of metal. Hence, two different brass colours. To reiterate, your badge (and slider) is unplated base brass.

Dave.

Last edited by altcar73; 28-05-23 at 09:17 AM.