View Single Post
Old 26-11-08, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny B. View Post
In his book "Australian Army Badges, Part 2, 1900 - 1930", Cossum illustrates a pair of 10th Light Horse collar badges on page 54 of the "Unofficial A.I.F. 1912 - 1918" section. A similar badge is sketched on the Australian Light Horse Association website and is described as "Unofficial 1914".

Is anyone able to give any background information on these "unofficial" collar badges. How and why were they distributed? When were they worn? Were they in fact worn in 1914 instead of or as well as the General Service badge. Is there an "unofficial" hat badge that goes with these collar badges. I believe the same collar badge is illustrated in the book "Westralian Cavalry" or some similar book.

Any information would be appreciated.

Donny B.
hi donny
it would be hard in my opinion to accuraetly date these badges but it would seem they were issued around the 1912-14 period. they were never an official badge but private unit order, most i have seen with the gaunt tab on reverse. there was no hat badge made, but it would be easy to think the R collar being worn on the officers cap.
australians officially didnt wear any other other badges to war other than the rising sun hat and collars. thats not to say that the individual unit badges were not worn unofficialy. there is a few pics of troops in egypt of officers wearing there 10th LHR collars.
i even picked up a superb ww1 hate/souvineer belt once, with some fantastic commonwealth officer bronze badges with 2 officers australian unit badges. one enameled victorian rifles badge and another west australian rifles stg silver hat and collar badge
bc