View Single Post
Old 13-03-18, 08:17 PM

Default WWI DFC; real or replica?

I've posted photos related to these medals in the Canadian Photographs section:
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=66913

I purchased this medal group knowing the named medals were just replacements for the display however, I'm now wondering about the authenticity of the early DFC. At our local club meeting last week, there was some question whether or not it is a “real”, period piece; perhaps the knowledgeable Forum members can comment?

I’m not a medal person so this determination is foreign to me. I took the item into a coin store this AM where they kindly analyzed the composition. It is basically pure silver (their unit admittedly wasn’t recently calibrated for silver) where three different measurements all gave readings in excess of 99.3%. The bar appears to be tarnished as one would expect silver to be but we weren’t able to get a reading on it without removing the medal its bar - which I haven't done. I understand that some DFC’s were replicated in silver so a silver DFC doesn’t imply originality.
I also tried to weigh the medal, up to the loop but it’s difficult of course. I’m guessing about 20 grams. The suspension ring appears to have been well soldered as there is no gap visible. I haven't been able to find much on early, circa 1918 DFC's so I really don't have a comparison. To my untrained eye, the suspension appears weak in the design but the strike is of high quality.

Your thoughts and an estimate of value as a stand-alone medal would be most welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DFC front sm.jpg (58.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DFC back.jpg (68.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DFC clasp.jpg (37.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Medal metal analysis 2.jpg (107.9 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by zorgon; 13-03-18 at 08:39 PM. Reason: corrected terms