View Single Post
Old 10-11-18, 01:52 PM

My mistake, "I should have typed this badge with crown", not "this badge".

According to the article:

Dress Regs. 1911state the forage cap badge to be the Royal Cypher and Crown in gilt metal.
Dress Regs. 1934 states that the forage cap is to be universal pattern, blue cloth: the band and welts to be of bright blue cloth. The peak embroidered with plain gold embroidery for officers of higher rank than captain. The buttons as for the mess vest, but die-struck. Badge, the Royal Cypher and Crown in gilt metal.
(The mess vest buttons are described as "1/2" mounted buttons". Buttons in both sets of Dress Regs. are described as being gilt, a Crown encircled by the words "Royal Engineers Services").
Cap of universal pattern. Badge as per forage cap but in bronze.

Information for the article was taken from "Surveyors of Works Royal Engineers - Their History and Development" by Brig. C. F. Atkinson, F.R.I.C.S, published c1970.

Stevens states that there are two mistakes in the text concerning badges and buttons, on page 39 it is stated that "cap and collar badges consisted of a circular band-(bearing)-the words "Staff for Royal Engineer Services". The information given on this page is clearly contradicted by the quoted extracts of Dress Regulations of 1911 and 1934.

He also says that in sale no. 295 of Wallis and Wallis a forage cap of the R.E.S. bearing two buttons, as described, and a badge of the Royal Cypher and Crown of Edward 7th was sold.

The Staff for Royal Engineer Services became known as Surveyors of Works RE and the civilian element was abolished by AO 316 of 1926, all personnel were to be dressed as for the Corps of Royal Engineers, indicating that the special dress distinctions were dispensed with, but if so why did Dress Regs 1934 still list them?

All of the above info is from the FA. Stevens article.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181110_135349422~2.jpg (41.7 KB, 28 views)