View Single Post
Old 16-12-17, 11:26 AM

The badges around the Fany flash are (clockwise from top left) RA officers' collar (from my father's uniform), RASC ST, part of RIF cap, RAMC collar, Harrogate College prefect's badge, Cheltenham Ladies College prefects badge, White Hare Ski Club award badge from 1934 (when she was 20 years old).

The military badges were worn on the left side of the tunic to represent the units she was attached to. The White Hare Ski Club was formed in Andermatt in 1934 prior to the establishment of the Swiss Ski School.

Former Fanys who transferred to the ATS as officers were allowed to continue to wear the Fany flash on their ATS uniforms, they were also allowed to continue to wear their chin straps over the top of their caps. In point of fact my mother continued to wear her old Fany uniforms but changed the badges over to ATS. She, like so many others, was not best pleased at being forced into the ATS.

It is a strange coincidence that after commissioning in the ATS she was posted to a HAA Bty based on Hayling Island while her fiancee was an IG at the SofA on Salisbury plain. She was immediately sent on a GPO's course at Larkhill. I wonder how that happened

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 17-12-17 at 09:59 AM.