View Single Post
Old 28-08-16, 04:23 AM

Excellent collection Drummajor, some superb badges. It has motivated me to get cracking on mine - especially as I have a sister in Berwick.

The rounded bottom does seem to predominate on officer's private purchase silver badges and OR’s fretted badges. Like the examples you have on the 2nd row. However, as your frame has more un-fretted round bottomed badges on the 3rd row and coupled with 3DG's example, perhaps the conclusion is it is just a maker’s variation. To my eye though the rounded scroll does change the entire shape and look of the badge. That flat bottom I'm sure looks much better on the glengarry.

A question if you don’t mind, if you are able to see the badge backs in your frame, does your 25th Regiment of Foot glengarry have loops N/S or E/W? I have an example which conforms exactly to my references (unfortunately I don’t have Jeff McWilliams book), but has E/W loops. Perhaps E/W is ok for this badge, but does introduce doubt in my mind?

Paddy
Your ERII example appears to conform to other examples, but I think is just a shallow strike.