View Single Post
Old 16-10-20, 11:29 PM

Hi Mike

Again, learning all the time, me.

I think I posted some photos of the reverse of the 1915 badges I have/ was able to borrow but would happily do so again as I've noticed that with the sheer volume of posts, it can be hard to find a specific post on a given subject.

You might even be able to find them yourself and, should you do so, feel free to post them under your name. No problems.

With all the plated, solid nickel, enameled variants of these badges I think that there had to have been a system that distinguished between a man (or woman) wearing a plated badge or a brass version.

I've previously posted about the enameled 1915 and it's good to read what they said about this at the time. I'd always been told that it was for reasons of economy but the Volunteer Munitions Worker badge was produced in enameled (a curious orangey red hue...) and plain brass.

IWM website has a bit of an explanation of the differences and both my enameled Volunteer Worker's badges have, I think, 3 or 4 digit numbers.

Thanks again for all this. I see that we are racking up the posts and the views!