View Single Post
Old 09-04-11, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi, as near as I can tell from your pic is that it is a casting that I asume was made in the middle east or India,semi official as this is the only brass cast silver plated type that has appeared in old collections. I'm sure others will have different views, but that's the joy of badge forums.A lot of bazaar badges were made, but they were made from coinage silver as a special. I've got a couple of examples of these. The usual distinguishing features are, they are silver, the front is very good and the back retains some features but are filed flat to smooth off the back. With tank badges they are finished with copper lugs. The lugs for the semi official one are quite distinctive. As to where you can find a forum for badge information I thought that was what you were on. I've haven't found one better. Hope all the above helps. Also I wasn't sure if you were saying it had been worn by SA armour. The SA's seem to have always worn their own badges. If you have any information on their early developement that would be interesting as they certainly had quite a few varieties of sand cast badges. Mike
Hi Mike,
no, this particular badge was brought back to SA from North Africa as a trophy.
As a separate issue, the design of the British RTR badge was used as a basis for the design of the original South African Tank badge.
SOUTH_AFRICAN_TANK_CORPS_(WW2).jpg
Seemingly the original SA Tank Corps was short lived and was amalgamated into the SA Armoured Corps. The below link has some very interesting history of the various units of the SAAC.
http://www.saarmourassociation.co.za...20Insignia.pdf

Thanks for the other info.

rgds

Iain