View Single Post
Old 04-02-23, 06:29 PM

Mike, Jerry & Tim

Many thanks for your comments. I am not convinced it is a band plate but at the same time still not 100% convinced it isn't. It is made of modern metal which is identical to the other 3 generic band helmet plates I have (2 of which came through official stores). The badge came in Firmin packaging and I have no doubts it is a genuine badge, the question is genuine what? The documentation Tim shows indicates 3 screw posts (12 o'clock, 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock positions) on the generic backing plate and that tallies with the 3 plates I have but the RLC band plate is not a generic plate because it has the crossed axes , an added "We Sustain" scroll and added silvered ordnance crest. As it is not a generic plate and unique to the RLC could that also mean that the means of attaching to the blue helmet could also be unique? I have no evidence for that plus the only RLC plate that I have seen the back of has got 3 lugs/loops as opposed to screw posts. The 3 lugs were positioned at 12 o'clock behind the crown and on the bottom left hand and bottom right hand rays which is not the same positions as the 3 screw posts. As usual more questions than answers but hopefully one of the Ordnance/RLC experts will be able to shed some light.

Paddy