View Single Post
Old 05-01-23, 03:32 AM

Hello Peter,

Somehow, I missed your post from several months ago regarding my Lancashire Mounted Rifles Volunteers helmet. I do have a copy of the JSAHR you refer to. My helmet matches the description and images of the helmet sighted in the article. With only three officers, which my helmet is an officers', and less than fifty troopers and the very short life span of the unit before conversion to Light Horse Volunteers I am sure these helmets are very, very few and far between. I know of only one other helmet to the Lancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteers. It was sold by Garth Vincent Auctioneers... I don't know a sale date or a hammer price. I am sure my helmet is a most rare item. It has been part of my collection of dragoon helmets for many years.

I noticed a 2nd Light Horse Volunteers Shako plate for sale at eBay with an asking price of 400.00 GBP. Unfortunately for me the seller will not ship to the United States and J & C Militaria has an almost complete shako officer's shako to the 2nd Light Horse Volunteers... not in the best condition, some structural issues, missing its plume holder and possibly the incorrect plume but with its original storage tin and an asking price of 1795.00 GBP.

Again, sorry for the much belated reply to your note!

Best regards,

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Yeohelmetguy,

Most interesting article in an old JSAHR if you can find a copy, and if you don’t already know about it.
See attached extracts.

I wonder how many helmets to this unit still exist .

P.