View Single Post
Old 05-02-17, 10:31 PM

Default ‘Kitten-faced’ and non-‘kitten-faced’ Leicesters Badges

Hi JT

In order to respond to your question I’ve hurriedly put together the attached image from some photos I already had, so I hope they suffice! The badge on the left is the ‘kitten-faced’ one, whilst the one on the right, for contrast, is the Smith & Wright maker’s type:

The term ‘kitten-faced’ is one I learnt from a fellow collector of Leicesters badges, and assume he used it because of this particular variant’s cat-like features when compared with other types. Though, to be frank, it personally reminds me more of a Scottish wildcat than a little kitten!

As far as I am aware this particular manufacturers’ variant, when a bi-metal badge, always comes with a vertical shank (slider) and oblong braze/sweat holes (though these can vary in size and exact position). In addition, this same ‘kitten-faced’ type appears as an all-gilding metal badge, and, whilst I do not yet know who the maker of these was, they also made the Oakham and Uppingham OTC badges (interestingly the later Uppingham CCF badges were by Smith & Wright) - hope this helps to clarify things a little??

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”