View Single Post
Old 01-02-15, 01:48 PM

Default Genuine Leicesters' TF/TA Badges?

Hi Rob

All things are, indeed, possible, but surely the starting point has to be what was officially authorised. As you point out those who wore such plastic badges are slowly diminishing in number, and only they will know for sure what they wore and what they didn’t. Everything else is therefore subjective and a matter of opinion, albeit perhaps supported by official documentation or photographic evidence.

I think we must be careful, however, not to simply accept everything we see as being exceptions to the rule; though there are undoubtedly genuine badges that would fall into that category. I personally have to agree with Alan, and, as I have said in my previous posting, I cannot myself see why someone would have good reason to remove the “Hindoostan” honour on a plastic Leicesters’ badge to make it look like a badge from a much earlier era.

Regrettably are there plenty of Leicestershire Regiment badges out there that have obviously had their top scrolls removed, many in a very poor fashion, some probably because of damage suffered, but others where it would seem to have been deliberately done to change the badge into something it wasn’t and thereby increase its value.

Leicesters’ TF badges are not that rare, but given their ‘official’ period of wear, 1908-1917, there are not that many around as the regulars’ ones with the top scroll, which were worn from 1897-1951. I have one badge in particular, which has clearly suffered such alteration, even having false braze holes added!!

All things are possible, and “never say never” is defiantly not a bad approach to things, but sometimes we have to say no, that is just wrong. I am thinking here of a Leicesters’ TF badge I recently purchased which was blackened. As far as I am aware there has never been a case for the Leicesters’ TF battalions wearing a blackened badge, officially or unofficially.

Nevertheless, as the badge in question was relatively cheap I went for it, despite it being of a type that I believe to be a restrike. When it arrived I was therefore not surprised that it had the distinctive odour of acrylic modelling paint, which had so obviously been applied in attempt to turn a pretty common restrike into a ‘rare’, never before seen, badge.

Still, all of the above are just my personal opinions at the end of the day, and there will be plenty of other collectors out there with differing views, the expression of which makes this Forum such an asset.

Very best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 01-02-15 at 01:54 PM.