View Single Post
Old 02-03-13, 08:40 AM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Super photo. Indeed if you only looked at the badge and knew nothing about the uniform then one might say Wiltshire yeomanry as its the same badge.
Alan

Love this badge...... I think it 100%...... the scrolls would have started off horizontal though. These PoWs are also seen on one of the DHY Officers Cap badge maker variants. This is the later issue... "H" touches the bottom line of the scroll & "single" Fleur-de-lys collars in the coronet. I dont think a "plain" brass was ever issued...... I think the bronze chemical finish (Florentine Brown) was cleaned off some of the badges...... there is one issue that is a true bronze and therefore would stay bronze (the last issue around 1916 before 24th (DHY) RWF). The slider cap badge probably appears closer to the Great War (as in the Leics Yeo).

I have two collars (bi-metal, "D" loop) in the PoWs shown below..... I am not sure if you can find the bimetal cap with the slider though..... probably just E/W "O" loops at 8mm long.

The other photo is of DHY Sergeants circa 1913, Farrier, Staff & Troop....... is the Troop Sgt wearing a cap badge size white metal PoWs above his chevrons?

The image on the right shows "the same maker" PoWs on T/Y/Debigh issue, dates approximate. (* Officers scroll did not appear before 1904 earliest possibly - first pattern card in 1901 just shows silver/gilt PoWs without the scroll)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlanODHY.jpg (49.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg SgtsDHY1.jpg (32.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DHYpost1908Type.jpg (47.3 KB, 38 views)

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 02-03-13 at 12:42 PM.