View Single Post
Old 26-10-10, 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=54Bty;87353]ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR IN (OF) GUNNERY

1881-1915

Sergeant Major Instructor in Gunnery
Worn below the elbow, a crown over a field gun above four chevrons point upwards with on the chevrons the AIG badge of a crown over crossed cannon barrels above a flaming grenade.

Quarter Master Sergeant Assistant Instructor in Gunnery
Worn below the elbow, an eight pointed star over a field gun above four chevrons point upwards with on the chevrons the AIG badge of a crown over crossed cannon barrels above a flaming grenade.

1902-1915

Battery Sergeant Major Assistant Instructor in Gunnery
Worn above the elbow, a crown over a field gun above three chevrons point down with on the chevrons the AIG badge of a crown over crossed cannon barrels above a flaming grenade.

Sergeant Assistant Instructor in Gunnery
Worn above the elbow, a field gun above three chevrons point down with on the chevrons the AIG badge of a crown over crossed cannon barrels above a flaming grenade.

I am NOT an expert on RA badges of rank and appointment, more of a generalist.

However, until 1915 QMS was a RANK in the army, badged as 4 chevrons lower sleeve, and the most senior of the Staff 1st Class, immediately below the WOs.
A soldier with RANK of QMS if APPOINTED as the unit Quartermaster sergeant added the 8 point star to differentiate himself from others. In various arms of service other badges were added to the 4 chevrons if the QMS was appointed to a specific badged post.
Now my understanding is that a QMSAiG was a QMS appointed to be an Assistant Instructor Gunnery.
Query: could he also be appointed unit QMS, and therefore wear this plethora of badges?
I have searched CR 1914, PVCN 1913, and Dawnay, and Dress of the RA, and can find no collateral for this medley of badges!

As I said above, I am no expert: if indeed there were such a badge, I will add it to my notebooks!

Last edited by grumpy; 26-10-10 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typo