View Single Post
Old 06-06-12, 08:53 PM

Quite the video - thanks for posting - too bad its somewhat small & grainy - full screen makes it even worse - but enjoyed viewing it! Nice to see the "old RCN" I served in again!

So after first viewing ----- At 0.54 the Left Guide PO is definitely wearing red badges. This would be normal for Nr 2 (at that time) dress.

When they are getting off the ship they are wearing red badges, you can just make it out on one sailor, & same on the marching immediately after that. The Pirbright marching at 8.55 they are definitely wearing gold badges, presumably a dress rehearsal for the big show. Gold badges medals & swords in RCN at that time was Nr 1 dress, which would be a must for a Coronation.
At the inspection they are wearing red again but at 9.12 back in gold.
I could not make out the ashore in London part, but I recall from my time in that when one went ashore either gold or red could be worn, but for something special like the Coronation I would expect gold would be mandated.

Each of the sailor's would have had both their Nr 1 & 2 uniforms for the occasion, they were always taken & worn on board ship. A sailor would never wear gold badges on board ship for everyday wear, that uniform as only worn when the occasion demanded it - ie: Ceremonial Divisions, Church parade, Captain or Admiral Inspections & the like.

I am guessing here but I would think that each of the ratings had at least 4 uniforms - 2 gold & 2 red & perhaps even their whites. The gold uniforms would have been a one off new issue just prior to going over. They would have to be looking their best for a command performance like this. Likewise the gold badges would be new. In the day the RCN had just moved into the new rank & rate badges (from 1950) particular to the RCN, so they would be pretty new at the time.
So I would think at least one of those gold uniforms would be reserved for the special parades closest to the actual Coronation.

As an aside --- I have the medals of the RCN Officer in Command of the 1937 (King George VI) Coronation contingent & a good writeup written by him of that ocassion. He mentions that at that time the ratings were all issued new uniforms & all wore gold badges & all wore the sailor class II rig - even class III ratings were changed into the class II rig for the '37 Coronation, presumably so they all looked the same. I have a photo of the group as well.

If interest I can post some of that dialogue.

So, again Antrim, thanks for posting & I'll have a few more views of the video & see what else I can discover,

I'll also have a look at the Coronation Crowsnest (RCN magazine) & see what is in there on the uniforms....

Bryan