View Single Post
Old 24-03-19, 10:45 PM

The Naval Nursing Service reached it's largest size in 1900 - at which point there were only 29 Sisters in the service. Yes, it is true that from 1889 onwards all qualified Sisters were on the Navy List (i.e., recognised as officers) but I can find no record of them wearing waistbelt clasps similar to those we are discussing. Don't get me wrong - I would love to find out they did!

The uniform is listed as being a navy-blue serge dress, white apron, small navy-blue serge shoulder capes and white frilled caps with strings. They wore a badge with a white 'Geneva' cross on a white background on their right arm (on an armband as described by Milmed). From the 1890s they also had a summer uniform consisting of a white blouse and blue skirt. The uniform was changed when the service became QARNNS.

I love the fact that the Sisters were addressed as 'Madam' by both staff and patients!

If anyone has any pictures of members of the Naval Nursing Service I would really appreciate seeing them. Anything to help boost the limited information I have on the Naval Nursing Service!

One point does bother me - if they did wear a silver waistbelt clasp, how would you differentiate between the ones they wore and the ones worn by the Victorian Naval Forces? This was a proportionately much larger service with more officers than the Naval Nursing Service and a significant amount of their insignia does turn up in the UK. In other words, can you be sure that what you have is actually a Naval Nursing Service waistbelt clasp?

Pete