View Single Post
Old 02-10-22, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Steve,
Can you confirm that this was the first pattern AGC lanyard?
Was it, like the stable belt, rejected soon after being issued to be replaced by the blue and red version still worn today?

Also do you know the reason why the AGC introduced the green beret?

Tim
Yes Tim
i remember being issued with it and wondering what the hell to do with the clip on the end or even why it was there in the first place !

I have no idea why the AGC chose or was given the green beret but remember at the time it caused a great deal of consternation with the RM who claimed it was too close in colour to their own. I avoided wearing it as much as i possibly could and being a WO1(SSM) i was able to do so as i wore the offr pattern forage cap with offr pattern badge as part of my working dress.

I continued until my discharge in 1995 to wear full RAOC Mess Dress to mess functions, not even changing the buttons or collar dogs as most did as an interim measure until they either discharged or were forces into buying the new mess dress.

I was not happy to be transferred as i just missed out by one year in being appointed WO1 (Cdr), the appointment going naturally over to the RLC. I served in the RAOC as a Staff Clerk for 20 years and only 3 as a part of the AGC(SPS). As you or anyone else on the forum can see (from my Forum name) i still consider the RAOC my Corps and i shy away from any association with the All Girls Corps (Special Pen Section). Not that they don't do a great job but my roots are firmly in the RAOC. To a Warrior His Arms !!
Regards
Steve